Saturday, July 20, 2013

Obama Said He Might Have Been Trayvon


Obama asked that we consider that if Martin had had a gun the night George shot him would he have been justified in shooting George because George frighten him. The answer is easy, not until and unless George had put him in reasonable fear of his death or great bodily harm. Then and only then would Martin be justified in shooting George, and to have someone following you does not justify that fear.

He also, as have other, asked did bot Martin have the right to stand his ground? Sure, if George had been walking very slow through his neighborhood in a driving rain and after asking George what he was doing there, and George commence to beat the hell out of him then he would sure have the right to shoot George to save his life.

A lot has been made of Martin having a right to walk through George's neighborhood. No argument, he did, I have read of no trespass violations. Conversely George had a right to be suspicious of his behavior, e.g., taking a slow walk in the driving rain, cutting between apartments, looking through windows. This is why George called the police, because of suspicious actions.


You can argue whether it was wise or not for George to follow Martin, but in doing so he broke no law, not even when the dispatch told him that they did need for him to do that. Then the Dispatch asked for an address and George went to look for according to testimony. Some take this as disingenuous on George's part, his own neighborhood and he did not know the name of the street. To this I can speak of first hand, I do not know the name of the second street north of my house. I know people who live on it, and drive on it often, but I do not know its name. Also I have been out looking for an address and have asked people who had no idea that the street was just a block over.

Now the issue has morphed into a drive to end the so called Stand Your Ground laws in all the stated that have enacted them. Stand you ground is a euphemism for having no duty to retreat and a reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm justify the use of lethal force without having to show that you did everything in your power to get away from your aggressor before you used that lethal force. In my opinion this is another example of never letting good crisis go to wast even if you have to create it. George did not use the Stand Your Ground law a defense, it was not brought up in the trial. After the trial one off the juries mentioned it in an interview on CNN, and the Progressives have grabbed it and ran with it. No Black child is safe as long as there are Stand Your Ground laws in any state.


Which leads me to my last point in this post, Martin as a child. He was 17 years old, not a child in anyone's eyes other than a mother. The day I turned 17 I enlisted with the United Stated Marines Corps, and I assure you that they did not treat me as a child. They gave me gun, strike that, a rifle and thought me how to use it, and in that same year I was helping impose the blockade of Cuba sailing around Cat Island on the USS Boxer fully expecting that we were going to invade Cuba. Half of the Marines on the ship were 17 and 18 year olds. Child, I don't think so. and I assure you that we has stormed the beaches Castro's army would not have mistaken us as children.

No comments: