Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Outlaw Trail



Here I sit in jail
‘cause they caught me again.
In a hail of bullets
After I shot my last round
It was give up or die
So here I sit in jail.

The hanging judge
They call him,
The man I will stand in front
Of tomorrow.
Regrets that I didn’t
Run and got shot.

No anticipation of the trap door
Snapping open beneath me,
Just dead in the street,
But no regret of riding the outlaw trail.

I look out my window to the yard below
Where workers are building the scaffold
They expect me to swing from.
The day after the trial.

Their hammers crack on the nails
Sound like gunfire to my ears.
The Deputy sticks in his head,
And asks what I want for my last meal.

“What would be the best food
This town has to offer”
I answer back
“That would be it.”

“Tonight” he said
“You will settle for beans and bread.”
I turn and look back out the window,
And heard “Tomorrow you’re going to hell”

No doubt about my end,
It has been a long run to here
From killing the baster that beat my mother,
And the Fargo Express office I robbed.

More killing and stealing
Than I can remember.
But for the first asshole
Every man I shot had been trying to kill me.

Beans and bread and water
Even condemned men have to eat,
And I ate every bite
Before I lay to sleep.

Waking to the rattle of keys in the lock
“Only coffee for you this morning.
No need wasting food on a dead man”
Without a word I drank.

Into the court room I walked
Shackled hand and foot.
Charged with murder, thievery, and horse stealing
“How do you plead?” the judge asked.

“For mercy, I plead for mercy”
Looking from his eyes to my feet,
As he said
“Hang by the neck until dead!”

“You days on the outlaw trail are at an end”
He smirked and slammed his little hammer
Hard onto his desk.
“May God have mercy on your soul.”

Hands on either arm, they shoved me
Back to my cell, and took off my chains.
I heard the ringing of the slamming
Of the cell door echoing through the jail house.

Along time, an infinity of time
The sheriff came back and asked,
“Do you not care what you eat tonight?”
“No, just so long as it comes from the best place in town.”

All of the hammering was done, and the night was quite
When the Deputy bought my last meal,
Open the door, and set it on the bed,
With his gun drawn, and eyes me.

He left and I took the cover off the basket, fried chicken
I smiled as I took pieces out, how were they to know
That the love of my life worked in the best eatery in town,
And in the breast she had hid a derringer?

I ate the chicken, and sides, drank the milk,
And told the Deputy I was done.
He came in. but did not pull his gun as he gathered my mess,
And as he straighten up I put my gun in his face.
Made his drop his gun belt, and lay on the bed face down.
I locked him in, found my pistol, stole a shotgun and some shells

Walked down the stairs, and out the door
Where she waited holding two horses
They looked like good ones, like fast ones.
After a kiss, away on the outlaw trail we rode.










No comments: