Monday, January 28, 2013

On My Way




I am on my way
To a better day
The night has come
To take this one away.
~
I know that tomorrow
Has to be a better day
For today is as bad
A day I’ve had in many a day.
~
Sick and dejected
After being rejected
I came to my bottle
And found its bottom.
~
Still deep in remorse
Too drunk to drive
But not drunk enough
To drown the sting.
~
So I walked to the store
Just a mile away
Bought a case of beer
And drank it on the way home.
~
Two cans down
By the time I get back
And another four
In short order.
~
I hope that before the time
The rest is gone
I will find oblivion
And be able to forget.
~
To forget, at least for the night
How bad it hurt
How bad it still hurts
All the dreams and anticipation,
~
That died with her decision
To find a life without me,
And leave me to my
Own devices.
~
So I am on my way
To a better day
Just as soon as I
Can forget.
~
Don't live in the past
They say
But are we not the
Sum of all we did?
~
And is not that better day
Launched from the now
That we stand upon
All the days you have lived?
~
What did I learn from
Her leaving,
But not to trust another
With the love of my heart?
~
Pick and choose
From this and that
That was put before me
With my own acts.
~
Desire still lives
But has no object.
Hope has reached the point
Of hopelessness.
~
Pitiful
But I ware my mask
Putting the smile on my face
Somehow ashamed.
~
Ashamed of my failure
To keep the one I love
And so desired
To be by my side.
~
So I speak not of this
But have resigned myself
To living a life 
Without the love of a woman.
~
This I know
Is my very own fault.
For there have been many
Who wanted me
That I did not want.
~
And way too many
I wanted that did not want me.
We all go on our way
Picking and choosing as best we can.
~
With the ghosts
Of yesterday
Shading our decisions
And pointing our ways.
~

©
Rexx

No comments: