Thursday, July 8, 2010

Our World

My horses have their world and I have mine, and sometimes they merge into paradise, a blinding so sublime that only the experience can describe it. It has been said that if you know you can’t say and if you say you cannot know. Sometimes thought you can know and give a hint of what the knowing is like.

Together the heard lives and sets their own rules about codes of conduct, ranking, sleeping when they will and eating as they like. They make friends and form animosities among them selves, and never know if when a horse leaves on a trailer if it will ever be back. Always upon returning to the pasture from a trip all the horses left behind come running to see who has returned.

When I enter into their world both of our words changes, we work into a partnership that is more then the sum of its parts. My horses are not my pets I have dogs for pets. The horses carry me into a world that a pet can never go. My horses will run their selves to death should I ask them, they would carry me off into the wilderness and starve to death with me should I ask it. They would carry me into the very jaws of death and out again, carry me up hills they would never climb had I not asked. They would never run backwards in their life if I not asked them to learn how, never would they spin them self in a tight circle had I not requested. What’s more my horse will do all these things for me, and love me while doing them.

All of this, while true, is not God given; it is something the horses and I have to work out. We move from it wanting to kill me at worst, or it just wanting to stay the hell away from me at best when I go to put on its first rope. Time and time again I will walk out into the pasture with a rope in my hand and the horse will head for the high hills, or at least as far away from me as it can get. Having to channel him into a corral where I can get a rope on him. As time goes on my persistent and the fact that he has came to no harm leads to him standing still when I walk up to him with a rope, and finally to him running to me when I call.

Respect and trust is won by my efforts, I cannot force then from him. He has my respect from the beginning, but he has to earn my trust. It is only after that we have each other’s trust that we can go to work on our partnership, only then can we figure out how we are going to dance together.
~
~
~
©
Rexx

No comments: