Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Waiting

Waiting, amazing just how much of my life is spent waiting. Waiting for a red light. Waiting for the ground to dry so I can work a horse. Waiting for it to warm up before I go outside. Waiting for it to cool off so I can ride. Waiting for the race to begin. Waiting for the weekend so I can go dancing.

When I wait I do not wait like the fox stalking his kill. I wait like the hawk scoring through the sky waiting for his dinner to arrive on the landscape below. Scoring on the wind, riding the thermals his joy unbounded from the need of his flight.

The fox goes into a world of scent, filtering out any but that for which he is waiting to find. Then, intent upon his stalk, lets the whole world shrink down to the creeping of his movement. He devoting his entire being to not spooking his supper, as he move an inch here, a foot there. Then in an unleashing of all his purpose he lunges into the chase, and again dissolves into his pursuit. Knowing no world outside of the chase.

I imagine the hawk’s joy rather then know it, for how could anything so free within it limits not feel joy? Scoring, diving, and circling the hawk must survey the whole world to find that which he seeks. His waiting is done amidst the multitude of events unfolding below. Then upon spying the answer to his search, he drops into the focus that the fox was locked into until it has obtained what it was waiting for.

I, in my waiting, keep what I am waiting for firmly in my mind, but not the foreground. I turn my attention to thing that can give me satisfaction, if not the joy of what I am waiting for. I look for other people’s methods of horses training, and today I found the story of John Rayer. For you horse lover I suggest you put his name in your search bar and read a bit about this man, who was the original “Horse Whisper”.

I found him while I was waiting, waiting for the sun to set. Waiting for the race to begin. Waiting for it to cool down a bit, and it has and I am going out and work with a horse now, teach it to walk a strait line while I am waiting for the race to start, while I am waiting for her to make up her mind.

What race?  Any race.
~
~
~
©
Rexx

No comments: